Monday, April 29, 2013

Easy Like Sunday Morning

Weekends are made for a lot of things: sleeping in (anything past 4:30 am is success in my eyes), cuddling on the couch watching movies, brunch, impromptu road trips, and bitching about the horrors that Monday morning will inevitably bring. Weekends are not, however, made for heavy makeup.If I can get away with staying in all weekend and not wearing any makeup, I'm fine with that. If I absolutely must leave the house for any reason (and its not anything formal, like a wedding) I use as light a hand as possible when it comes to makeup. 


This stuff is amazing. I am somewhat of a BB cream fanatic, and I am pretty bummed that the "bb creams" introduced to the US market recently are such flops. If you can buy it at Walmart, it's not a real bb cream. Real bb creams come in 3 shades (if you're lucky) and take the place of makeup, concealer and skincare products. Even though it has sunscreen in it, I still put on my SPF lotion underneath. I live in the desert after all. The mass produced bb creams that are so trendy right now are really more like tinted moisturizers. I heard MAC makes a great one, but that you're supposed to put it under your foundation. Um, no. As much as I love MAC, just no. If it's a real bb cream, it does not need to go under makeup. If it needs to go under makeup, it's a primer, not a bb cream. End rant. Anyway, Skin79 is a legit Korean bb cream that is basically one if my Holy Grail products. Its super simple, less than $20 and lasts forever since it usually only takes a pea sized dab to cover your whole face. This particular one comes in only one shade, and it needs to oxidize on your face for about 10 minutes for the color to adjust. Missha makes a fantastic bb cream that comes in a slightly wider variety of shades, but it tends to be a little more moisturizing than Skin79, and I don't personally need that. If I'm going to be out all day, I dust my MAC setting powder on top of this. 

Tarte Cheek Stain in Blissful

The perfect coral-y shade that could pass for a natural looking flush. It complements basically any skin tone and doesn't pull too orange. I try to avoid powdery products as much as possible in the warmer months since it tends to make me look overly "done" and doesn't last very long in heat and humidity anyway. 


Urban Decay eyeshadow in Chase

This shade is so pretty. Its shimmery and neutral enough to not be overpowering, but its so damn gorgeous. Urban Decay is the master of eye products. I use this over their original Primer Potion and smudge it underneath my lower lashes. I skip liner entirely on the weekends. 

Victoria's Secret Pressed Mineral Bronzing Powder

I may or may not use a dusting of this. Its sheer and sparkly and very buildable, so it doesn't look like too much, and it really complements the Tarte cheek stain. If I'm going out to brunch or on a weekend evening, I'll typically use it. I use Hoola by Benefit during the workweek, but that one is entirely matte and I use it mainly for contouring, so I avoid it completely with more laid back looks. 

Clinique Chubby Stick in Mega Melon

I really dig coral shades, if you couldn't tell. I love glossy pencils also, so this is perfect. As much as I love lipsticks and glosses, I'm pretty flaky and inconsistent when it comes to re-application. I usually carry about 6 color lip products with me at all times, which is crazy because I end up using my Softlips balm more than anything. That's probably why I'm more likely to use these gloss pencils. They feel really amazing, slick without being goopy, and they have high shine and great color payoff. I've also tried the stain pencils by Revlon, which are good but tend to pull a little drier on my lips than these. 




BadGal Lash by Benefit

I'm currently in the market for mascara recommendations. BadGal is my old reliable. I tried They're Real by Benefit and just couldn't stay on board the love bus. I don't like it. BadGal is perfectly serviceable and its decent, but I really want something that is remarkable. 

I know when its typed out like this, this actually seems like a lot of makeup for an "easy" look, but it seriously takes less than 5 minutes to do. Paired with a sockbun and its the most low maintenance made up look I can accomplish on a weekend. I have other, more important things to do, after all. Like watch my Dateline NBC recordings on the DVR.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this entry. I really wanted to try a bb cream, but didn't realize that the ones being sold in stores here weren't full-fledged creams. I may just have to order me one from that website...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd highly recommend Skin79. The drugstore, mainstream BBs aren't BAD, exactly, they're just watered down versions of real BBs.

    ReplyDelete